Buying websites that have the potential to do better after some alterations are made to increase traffic and revenue, and then selling them for a profit is called flipping websites. The internet has, from time to time, thrown up some excellent opportunities to make money. Site flipping is one of these great opportunities which can make you money simply by doing some work from home.
One would have observed that most of the websites of business owners are very poorly done. But some of these sites are pretty good in terms of the niche that they are present in. Some websites like insurance, loans, attorneys, and weight loss sites have great potential in terms of the evergreen niches that they represent but are so poorly done that there is not sufficient traffic or revenue generated by the site. Soon the website owner, not understanding the revenue-generating potential of the site, decides to sell it. This is your opportunity for flipping websites for profit.
How to flip websites
To buy a good but not optimized website, you can check out some websites that list websites for sale like flippa.com. Some of these potential revenue-generating websites can be bought for just a few hundred dollars or less. You then do some work on the site, making it worthy of site flipping, and then you are set for flipping websites for profit. Crafting a business strategy is important if you want to flip websites successfully. There are some aspects you can keep in mind to ensure success in flipping websites.
- If you find a website for sale that deals in the same product or service that you already sell, you should instantly buy it. This way you can direct traffic from the newly bought site to your products and services by advertising, using the existing email list of the new website, and through a sales page. This is one of the quickest ways of establishing a large customer base. Of course, make sure that the redirected traffic is good quality and targeted. You can make the mistake of buying a site that has high traffic which will consume plenty of bandwidth but does not consist of targeted visitors who can increase your revenue.
- There are some sites that have the potential to generate advertising revenue. Such sites do not need much work except optimizing the amount of traffic and finding ways of enhancing the performance of advertisements on the site. The types of such sites that are suitable for site flipping are those that have good quality content which is not really optimized. After buying the site, you can present the content in innovative ways, thereby creating an email list through article marketing, etc.
- Sometimes timing is what matters most. Quickly incorporating changes with an eye on the changing conditions of the market can get you some extra revenue. This of course has risks attached to it as market conditions are always changing and one can never predict them precisely. However, those with business acumen and an instinct for the right timing can make a neat profit flipping websites. E-commerce sites that sell products that are just about establishing themselves in the online market, yet do not have good SEO or online marketing strategies, and are up for sale are a good grab. This involves buying the site and making it ready just as the market for the product starts to build up. This way you get the early bird advantage of being ready when the time comes. This kind of site flipping requires opportunists who always have their finger on the trigger, so to speak.
- A website that has a very active and huge forum community targeting an established niche in which you are interested can prove to be a gold mine for you. These sites would have been normally built by amateurs, or hobbyists, and were not intended to create a profit of any sort. The forum community would have grown rapidly and hugely taking up a lot of bandwidth which is now becoming expensive to maintain by the owners and so they would be willing to sell. The owners in such cases are those who have no idea of, or know the importance of search engine optimization and monetizing their website.
- Searching for a “for sale” website that operates in a highly in-demand keyword niche or one you think will be trendy in the near future, is a good idea for flipping websites for profit. As these keywords are the main feed of search engines, it is possible that an investment into a keyword-rich niche that is just beginning to trend will earn you rich dividends. Again, strong business acumen and knowledge of the internet world and its visitors are important if you are to make a success of this.
- Another way of flipping websites for profit is to buy websites that are already competing with you. This is a great way of dominating the market and you also get to take advantage of the existing visitors to the site and use the email lists etc. of the new site.
- Flipping websites for profit can also be done by buying URL names that you think are going to catch up soon or maybe even in a few years from then. For example, a decade back, if you had bought a URL blog.com, it could have been sold today for a healthy profit, considering that blogging is such a trendy hobby today on the internet.
Once you buy the most potentially rewarding websites, you will need to do some work on them by adding content that is rich in keywords, changing some design elements of the website to attract customers, and working on some other traffic-increasing methods, which will all in all generate greater revenue. Once the refurbished website starts to generate an attractive revenue, it is time for you to sell it for a profit and this is precisely what flipping websites for profit is all about. All you need to do is sit at home and buy, refurbish and sell a few websites for your profit.